Oakland High School is a 2017 Washington State School of Distinction that serves students from 14 to 21 years old in a small and supportive atmosphere. Historically, Oakland High School has been an "alternative" school. Now, we are a small high school with an alternative schedule that is unique in the Tacoma Public School District. Our schedule allows students who want to accelerate their high school experience or who are credit deficient to design a custom academic plan to reach their goals. We offer a complete catalog of core classes, cutting edge electives, and Advanced Placement courses. Students also may earn credits through work-based learning programs, online classes, independent study and volunteer hours. Additionally, onsite childcare resources are available to students who are also parents.
Because we are a small school, we do not offer athletics or traditional extracurricular activities. However, all Oakland students are eligible to join such activities at the Comprehensive Tacoma Public High School in their neighborhood attendance area provided they meet the WIAA, district, and school requirements for participation. Meanwhile, all staff and teachers at Oakland High School are committed to providing a safe, personal and nurturing environment. We believe in a grace and strength-based approach where students can achieve in academics, career preparation and personal development. We celebrate daily the Respect, Responsibility, and Resiliency of the Oakland High School community!
What Oakland has to offer
- Different school structure
- Onsite Childcare for teen parents
- Early/ On-time Graduation
- Several AP Courses
- CTE Industrial Certifications
- Dual Credit courses
- Credit retrieval options
- Partnerships with various community organizations
- Mentoring programs
- First Health Clinic in Pierce County- coming soon
- After-school clubs - credits offered
- Smaller class sizes. More one-on-one help.
Why Choose Oakland
- 4 period school days on a quarter system
- Longer class periods to get more done at school rather than at home
- Graduate early or on-time
- Excellent, caring, hardworking teachers and staff members
- School of Distinction 2017 Recognition